Chahohbili – Georgian Chicken Stew Recipe on Food52
Author Notes: Chahohbili is a traditional Georgian poultry dish. Originally, Chahohbili was cooked from wild game birds, but nowdays chicken is the main source for t (…more) —Kukla
• 3 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks, bone in with skin trimmed but not entirely removed
• 2 large onions, sliced
• 3-4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 small hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 2 dried bay leaves
• About 6-7 strands of saffron
• 1 tablespoon of each: chopped cilantro, parsley, basil
• Salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put all spices into a spice grinder and pulse until they turn into a powder.
Wash and dry the chicken.
Preheat the heavy skillet.
Add the chicken pieces and fry on medium-high flame for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Season with salt and black pepper,
Transfer the chicken to a large casserole.
Reserve 2 tablespoons of chicken roasting fat.
Preheat a clean skillet with 2 tablespoons of chicken roasting fat.
Add the sliced onions and sauté’ until just softened.
Transfer the onion to a casserole; add chopped tomatoes and hot pepper.
Season with salt and sugar to taste and 1 tablespoon of spice powder.
Cover, bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
Remove the casserole from heat stir in minced garlic and chopped herbs.
Let stand for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy.