Friday 6 September 2019

#rhubarb stew

- Stewed rhubarb recipe - A Bunch Of Wild

"I thought I’d share with you a couple of variations on how to stew rhubarb.
Our rhubarb at The Haven is at its best right now and I’m pulling it by the arm load.
There are crumbles to be made, cordial and sauces, plus I shall freeze a load.
One of my favourite things to do with it and the easiest is to stew it.



Here’s how I do mine.

In a pan on the hob:
You will need
400g of chopped rhubarb,
60g caster sugar (I like to add a star anise) and enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan.
Place on the hob and bring to the boil, stir once then turn down to simmer and leave for 30-45 mins or until you have a nice consistency.
Leave to cool then decant and keep in the fridge.

In the oven:
This gives you a more caramelised taste with a bit more depth.
Same measures as above for rhubarb and sugar, a good glug of ginger syrup, a dash of water.

Place all of the ingredients in a baking tray with sides.
Pop in the oven at gas 4 (180C = 350F = Gas Mark 4), check after 15 mins and give a stir, keep checking it every 5 minutes till you are happy with the consistency (there is no right or wrong, it’s how you like it), then leave to cool before popping in a bowl, keep it in the fridge till needed.

I love to have mine on natural yoghurt sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and drizzled with blossom honey, delicious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment