Sunday 5 January 2020

Cranberry sourdough bread.








300g bread flour(85%)
50g wholemeal flour (in the UK) (15%)
273g water (78%)
70g levain (20%)
7g salt (2%)
60g of dry cranberries

08:00 refresh levain (1:2:2)

12:00 - mix water and flour,
* 12:00 - 13:00 - autolyse
- if your levain isn't ready at 13:00 no worries, keep the autolyse going until levain is ready.
13:00 - add levain (5 hours active on its peak, 1:2:2), mix, rest 30 min,
13:30 - add salt, mix, rest 30 min.
14:00 - lamination, + add berries on rectangle, rest 45 min,
14:45, 15:30, 16:15 - 3 coil folds every 45 mins,
16:15 - 18:15 - Leave untouched for 2 hours.

Total bulk is 6 hours - 13:00 - 18:00 (time starts from adding levain).
18:15 - preshaping, rest 15 min,
18:30 - shaping, proofing room temperature for 30 min,
19:00 put in refrigerator for 16 hours,
19:00 - 11:00 - refrigerator.

10:00 turn on the Oven - my is max 250°C,
11:00 - bake 230°C with closed lid 25 min,
11:20 - open lid 230°C for 10 min,
11:30 - 220°C for 10 min.
11:40 - finish!

* - the temperature is set depending on your oven is.
The majority of home ovens are horribly inaccurate and uneven.
Most ovens can be calibrated, so buy yourself a cheap oven thermometer, pull out the oven’s instruction manual, and try to get the oven calibrated as best you can.

NOTE from others:
How long is too long for the Autolyse stage?
"Have a look at the Experiments with Autolyse post on here a few years back; I found that very interesting.

I also found this article What is Gluten very, very helpful to understand what is really going on in an autolyse.
That caused me to change my autolyse technique slightly and give it a bit of a knead halfway through, to make the resulting gluten structure a bit more extensible (that works, by the way).

My conclusion is that a 'pure' autolyse (no yeast present) is essentially a chemical process rather than a biological one; and is therefore a matter of time vs. temperature.
Personally I use somewhat hot water to accelerate my autolyse; and I allow it to run for about half an hour until I stop the process by adding the salt.
If I autolyse cold, I run it for about an hour.
I also find that a wholewheat dough can handle a somewhat longer autolyse.
As I mentioned above, I also give my autolyse a brief knead half way through - that really does improve the structure of the final dough.
Finally, based on the 'what is gluten' article I noted a stronger and more extensible gluten structure develops in a lower hydration environment.
Therefore these day I autolyse at a pretty low hydration of 60%, and then I correct to my desired final dough hydration (75%) by mixing in a sufficient quantity of fully hydrated starter.
That's quite messy to do, but it gives you really strong gluten."

- "A group of us participated in a Community Bake featuring Trevor Wilson’s Champlain SD.
His instructions included a very long autolyse, actually a premix.
We all found that the extended autolyse made the dough extremely extensible, but the dough lost way too much strength.
We elected to shorten the duration."

No comments:

Post a Comment